Watch how Ravensthorpe Junior School have used the Primary PE and Sport Premium for a range of benefits to their pupils.
The Government invest £320m per year directly into primary schools with the objective of achieving self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport.
There is a long term vision that all pupils leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Key performance indicators for schools are:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged five to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
Three posters have been produced to capture the latest national advice and guidance. The posters can be downloaded below:
The Association for Physical Education and the Youth Sport Trust have updated the national template to aid Head teachers, Governors and teachers to support the online reporting. You can find tools to help you measure and report on the impact of your spend by clicking here.
Other sources of advice for schools are below:
Department for Education: Guidance on the Primary PE and Sport Premium and the grant conditions can be found here. A review into the use and impact of the Premium can be downloaded here.
UK Coaching hosts an online toolkit which provides a wide range of resources relating to coaching in primary schools and can be accessed here.
Association for Physical Education has a page dedicated to the Primary PE & Sport Premium
Sport England offer a series of short films for Headteachers and PE subject leads showcasing best practice in the use of the Premium can also be viewed here.
Youth Sport Trust have a ‘How we can help’ section of their website.