Our work in community sport is widespread and varied to achieve our aims of ‘More people taking part in sport on a regular basis’ and ‘Greater inclusivity so that everyone can take part’.
Here’s a brief overview of our projects:
- Active Dearne is an exciting programme to support adults and families on low working incomes across the Dearne Valley to become more active.
- Active Burngreave is a project working in partnership with Sport England and Comic Relief to create community change in a Sheffield town.
- Better in Kirklees is a social prescribing scheme, working in partnership with Touchstone, linking patients referred by their GP or Adult Social Care to voluntary and community sector support, to supplement their NHS care.
- Levelling the Field is a women’s empowerment project, which uses sport and activity as a tool to build confidence and resilience funded by Comic Relief.
- Satellite clubs make it easier for young people to get active – and stay active. They provide opportunities to take part regularly in sport and activity through the creation of enjoyable, appealing and convenient opportunities for young people that are based around their needs.
- We offer support to talented athletes, specifically through our STARS programme in West Yorkshire.
Around 70% of our resources are focussed on 36 of our low-income communities identified for further support. They are listed below, and available on a map here.
• Kendray & Worsbrough
• Athersley & New Lodge
• Bowling & Barkerend
• Great & Little Horton
• Halifax East: Illingworth, Ovenden & Mixenden
• Dearne Valley (Conisbrough, Mexbrough, Denaby)
• Kirklees North: Dewsbury, Ravensthorpe, Batley
• Birkby & Fartown
• Dalton & Rawthorpe
• Leeds East: Seacroft, Gipton & Harehills, Burmantofts
• Leeds South: Hunslet, Holbeck, Middleton Park, Beeston
• Rotherham East: Eastwood, East Dene, Dalton
• Dearne Valley (Swinton, Wath, Bolton-Upon-Dearne)
• Firth Park & Burngreave
• Manor & Arbourthorne
• South East: South Elmsall & Hemsworth
• North East: Airedale, Ferry Fryston & Knotingley